Veliko Tarnovo is a town situated in North Bulgaria in the valley of the river Yantra, at a distance of 241 km from the capital – Sofia, 228 km from the city of Varna. The location of the town as a crossroad and crossing point of multiple roads and commercial connections and routes had helped for its economical and cultural development from antiquity to the present day. Veliko Tarnovo is one of the oldest towns in the country. The upsurge of Veliko Tarnovo is related to the period of the Second Bulgarian Empire (1185 – 1393). In 1185 the town was declared a capital of the restored Bulgarian State by the brothers Asen and Petar, who declared the end of the Byzantine dominion, which continued for 167 years. The city is situated on the three hills Tsarevets, Trapezitsa, and Sveta Gora. Veliko Tarnovo is the center of one of the largest urban areas in Bulgaria and is one of the few cities in the country with a growing population. It is a foremost educational and cultural center, and the home of two major universities and extensive artistic activity. The city is a leading tourist attraction, boasting a steady increase in visitors for the last two decades. During the same period, it has also consistently attracted foreign settlers, and today, the city and its surroundings have become the home of the largest foreign expat community in Bulgaria.